Monday, February 2, 2009

Ode to Steak 'n Shake








I had the 3 hour glucose test on Friday and I guess it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The drink had more sugar in it than last time, so I was rather nauseous after downing it, but I had a good 'sticker' so the blood draws weren't so bad. It felt like I was in the movie Groundhog Day because four times the same girl called my name and four times I walked back to get stuck. By the time I was able to leave, I was pretty darn hungry and don't think I hadn't already planned out where I was going to have lunch: Steak 'n Shake.

I considered just using the drive-thru to save time, but then I thought about how nice it might be to actually sit down by myself at a restaurant. It was shocking just how wonderful this dining experience was. I pretty much inhaled my yummy steakburger, fries, and cherry coke (the best!). Apparently all that grease wasn't enough to make me feel too guilty because I then proceeded to down a hot fudge sundae... but I had a coupon for a free one, so that makes it okay right?! I guess I felt like this may be a 'last supper' of sorts depending on the results of my glucose test, so I went all out. Needless to say, I walked out of the restaurant with a smile on my face and even more weight to carry around in my belly. Anyway, I got a call that afternoon from the dr. office saying my results were normal - woohoo!! I am VERY thankful for that!

On a side note, on Saturday Macy and I were laying in her bed reading a book for naptime and I noticed the baby was kicking a lot. I asked Macy if she wanted to feel the baby kick and put her hand on my belly. The baby kicked her hand a few times actually and Macy's eyes lit up in amazement, it was really neat!

3 comments:

aczumbahlen said...

I have also been known to eat alone in a restaurant. I think is just proves we are comfortable with ourselves! I even went to the movies by myself on Saturday night. I wanted to see Bride Wars before it ended to I went to the late show. It was great!! Glad to hear your test went well. I had to do that with Jenna. Not fun!

Kelly R said...

I've been thinking about you wondering the results. That is good news! 10 more weeks or less, wow!

Chrystal M. Smith said...

I love me some Steak 'N Shake. Those french fries with cheese. I always drink orange soda there, though I haven't eaten there in years. I also love to dine alone if given the chance. It makes me feel if only for a minute very independent.