Monday, March 2, 2009

A Princess Party

My angel turned three years old yesterday, wow! I just can't believe how fast she is growing up. What else should a little girl turning 3 have for her birthday, but a princess party?! Truth be told, the original request from Macy was to have a Lightning McQueen party, but I knew there was no way I could pull off that cake! She requests to watch either Beauty & the Beast (my old VHS tape from when I was a kid) or Sleeping Beauty most evenings, so getting her to go for the princess theme wasn't too difficult.

Now, I have made Macy's birthday cake for both of her parties up to this point, but they were a somewhat basic round layered cake and I thought maybe I could up the ante this year (aka my preggo brain got the best of me). I looked online for cake ideas and found a castle cake that looked fairly easy for someone of my skill level... or should I say lack thereof. But I couldn't just stop there, no siree. I had to do more searching, finding more castle cakes and more ideas. This generated yet more searching, on ebay, to find some princess figurines to go with the cake... shopping at Wal-Mart and CVS to get some clearanced Valentine's candy and princessy stuff for the little girls... then hitting Hobby Lobby when I decide I must also make the icing, which means I must get frosting tint instead of using good ol' food coloring (it suddenly wasn't up-to-par for this endeavor) and something called clear vanilla (who knew!) as well as some pretty paper to make flags for the cones. Yes, after Shanon and I looked at everything I had collected for this once relatively simple undertaking, I suddenly had a moment of clarity and we both busted a gut laughing at the fact that there was practically no way I was going to pull this off and we'd be frantically calling DQ to see if we could get a last minute cake.

Well, I don't know if God was looking out for me or for my poor husband (sparing him a total meltdown from a hormonal, pregnant woman), but somehow it all managed to work out (this doesn't normally happen for me people!). Macy loved her castle cake and princess party. When she woke up from her nap she was so excited to put her Cinderella dress on. She had tons of fun playing with her cousins, eating cake and ice cream, and opening all of her gifts. Grandma Glenda and Grandpa Richard got her a princess sleeping bag and she decided she had to use it last night, so I unzipped it and used it as a blanket on her bed. She apparently decided that wasn't sufficient because when I checked on her later, she had it on the floor laying on it and was also snuggling with her new Sleeping Beauty doll.

Here is the castle cake:

Here is Macy proudly displaying three fingers.
Everyone sang Happy Birthday and she suddently got really shy & didn't know what to do... definitely out of character for Macy!

Blowing out the candles... she did one at a time with multiple attempts, it was a lengthy process!

The three princesses: Gracie, Macy, & Hadley. The two on the right may look sweet and innocent, but I can tell you that later Shanon found them in the nursery jumping up and down in the baby's crib!!

A good time was had by all. Macy was happy and Shanon and I were relieved when it was all over. "And they lived happily ever after"... until I told Shanon we could be doing this all over again in a few years if this baby is another girl!

2 comments:

Chrystal M. Smith said...

Great job! The cake was perfect, as was your little princess. Ethan loves the pictures of the cake too.

aczumbahlen said...

You already know how impressed I am w/ the cake! You and your sister are much better than I! I am completely content w/ the cakes we get from IGA. 5 per year is a lot though!! Great party! Hadley had a great time. Sorry about the crib-I wasn't aware of this-what brats!!