Thursday, October 30, 2008

Pregnant lady with narcotics... and I'm not afraid to use them! Okay...so maybe I am!

So I had my 16 week appointment on Monday, which was pretty uneventful (yay!). I had a headache at the time, which reminded me to ask the doctor about safe medicines to take for my migraines while pregnant. For those of you that don't know, I periodically get migraines to the point of vomiting all day and/or night. I have already had this happen this pregnancy and it is horrible normally, but especially so when you have precious cargo to worry about. I was seeing a neurologist while pregnant with Macy and she prescribed Reglan, which was primarily just for the nausea. I mentioned this to my doctor, so he gave me a script for that, but he also gave me one for oxycodone (I think this is the correct name), which is a narcotic. I was like, 'Huh?? You're giving me what?!' He assured me (more than once) that it is completely safe for the baby and I won't get hooked on it or anything. So I think, okay, maybe taking narcotics is better than getting sick. So I go to get it filled at the pharmacy and they need my social security number due to it being a controlled substance, which freaked me out a little and then when I mentioned that I'm pregnant, they seemed a little alarmed. The pharmacist told me to only take it if I have to. Great, so just when I start to feel okay about it, they have to go and worry me again! Hmmm... to take the drugs or not to take the drugs, that is the question!

2 comments:

aczumbahlen said...

Take the drugs! One tip you may consider is to take the narcotics with food. Sometimes the codone part which is codiene will upset your stomach. But you do have Reglan for that!! I would listen to your OBGYN. Sometimes pharmacists over react. Your doctor wouldn't prescribe something unsafe for Baby Barthelemy!

Anonymous said...

Have you had the flu shot? Everyone seems to think that it is crazy that the doctor recommended me getting a flu shot! Isn't it funny how everyone freaks out about everything when you have that cargo inside you? I remember those migraines you always got...not good. By the way, glad to see that you got the name to show up on here so I can post a comment!